Lions Pavilion Underground Work

After demolition of the open air part of the shelter, the Lions and their contractors installed the new 6-inch diameter waterline into the area between the concession building and the Lions Den.  Most of these pictures and captions are from Victoria Lion Al Orsen, volunteer project manager who has been “on the job” almost every day.

The new waterline was needed to provide enough water to a fire sprinkler system for the existing concession building and the Lions Den plus the new pavilion being constructed.

The waterline was installed from the northwest corner of the intersection at Petunia and 82nd Street (in front of the brick apartment building) into the breezeway that provides access to the bathrooms for Lions Park.  This was done without digging a trench across 82nd Street or across the parking lot.

The 6 inch diameter plastic pipe was fused together spread across the ball field and then pulled into place after boring a hole from the North side of the street. No restoration of the street and parking lot was required using this new method known as directional boring.

It was about 250 feet from that corner (pictured above) of the intersection to the breezeway.  This needed to be installed prior to installing the foundation.

This show the foundation formed up ready to place the concrete footing

After boring the hole and then reaming and pulling the pipe into place, the directional boring machine was loaded.  The person on the trailer is guiding the machine onto the trailer using a wireless remote control device.

The piece of equipment with the long arm is a concrete pump.  This is the modern way of placing concrete instead of using wheel barrows as was done years ago.

The concrete pump truck was able to reach over the oak tree and concession building to the far southeast corner of the project

This is another picture of the boom of the concrete pump truck reaching to the southeast corner of the footings.

A panorama view.

Three ready mix trucks of concrete (almost 30 cubic yards of concrete) were placed into the forms in less than one hour.  In the old days, that would have taken a full day.

Another view of placing the concrete.

After placing all of the concrete, a small leftover amount of concrete was placed back in the ready mix truck.

This is after the steel was embedded and partially cured forms were being placed for the foundation walls

Another view of placing the forms

A couple of days after pouring the footings and all the forms were in place, another concrete pump truck was used to place the concrete into the forms.

Another view of placing the concrete into the forms.  It was all quite a project to watch and enjoy.